Friday, April 30, 2010

Do Ducks add Value to a Home?

A few weeks ago we saw a nice Mallard duck couple shopping for real estate. Usually they could be found hanging out in the back yard behind the shed. But one day when I was emptying the flower boxes out front to prepare them for new spring flowers, I noticed a hole to the left of the front door. I didn't think much of it at the time. In fact, I thought that I somehow created the hole by dumping some dead flowers there just before winter hit last year.

Apparently I was innocent of the dumping because last week we realized that the hole was in fact a nest for the female's eggs. Most days you can spot the female Mallard sitting on her nest. But when she is away, you can clearly see six large eggs in the nest just outside our front door.

We were just wondering if it is a good sign that this family decided to choose our home to care for their unhatched babies? I do hope it adds some value to our property as we are trying to sell it.

1 comment:

Annette W. said...

Oh, that is a wonderful story! Does C say duck yet?

 
Blog designed by Eriksen Web Design.