Thursday, October 22, 2009

Autumn Colors

Fall is my absolute favorite season. The smells, crunchy leaves under foot and stroller, the strange phenomenon of beautiful bumpy pumpkins and gourds in multiple sizes and colors, and of course--the colors. Our trees out back are delightful in shades of yellow, orange and red. I can't stop myself from gazing out at them as I write this message to you.

In the spirit of the season, C and I meet up with our dear friend, Heidi, and went to the Arboretum to witness God's imagination at work in all the plant life in this region of America. Stunningly brilliant! It refreshes you, calms the spirit and helps to shake off the ugliness of the day. When looking at something so interesting, like leaves changing colors, it gently reminds you that, yes, we have a creator.

It was a rough day for me, to say the least. So taking the time to wander around the meandering paths of the Arboretum completely fixed my state of mind. I don't know that it was a bad day, but it was an emotional day filled with tears and loneliness. I had such a wonderful time with my sisters and cousins being here, then I got to have lunch with a college roomie of mine in Chicago the day before. I think being reminded that everyone I love is so far away hit home the first day I had to spend by myself. Plus, when close friends are struggling, hurting or are going through major life changing stuff--it makes it that much more difficult to be separated.
With that said, you can see by the photos, that being in such a beautiful place transformed me.


No comments:

 
Blog designed by Eriksen Web Design.