It doesn't happen very often, so I thought it was worth a post. Mark and I actually got to hit the town so to speak. Last Friday we drove up to Madison, WI for our friends' Hindu wedding ceremony. It was fascinating and I am glad we were able to go.
Here we are saying goodbye and goodnight to Ella and Mark's parents before we headed out the door. Mark's mom said it was like the prom so she kept taking pictures. Well, since Mark elected not to go to his prom, I guess he owed her that photo taking opportunity. All in good fun.
The ceremony started with the groom and his friends entering in. Then the bride came in under a canopy surrounded by her friends and female family members.
So many traditions go into the ceremony itself. And honestly, I was not completely sure what was going on most of the time... but I do know that there were several prayers, promises and exchanges between the bride and groom and their families under the "temporary temple away from the temple".
Then the bride and groom walk around the fire seven times while the priest chants seven promises for their lifetime together.
Instead of a ring, the groom gives the bride a necklace.
All in all it was a lovely evening and a memorable experience. The best part for me was being able to spend it with my husband. Since Mark had to get to school the next day, we couldn't stay for the Catholic church wedding the next day. I am sure that was beautiful as well. Best wishes to the happy couple.
Subscribe to The V Blog by Email
No comments:
Post a Comment