Thursday, March 12, 2009

Two Sick Girls

This week has proven itself to be one of the hardest yet. I came down with a terrible cold over the weekend and am still struggling through it. Unfortunately I was not able to keep Carmella from getting sick too. She woke up at 4 a.m. this morning coughing and sneezing. I had to get the saline out and clear out her nasal passages. She absolutely hates the snot sucker thingy. She turns her head and wiggles and squirms. It makes helping her quite the challenge.

It’s moments like these that I wish we lived closer to a set of grandparents. It would be nice to call on someone to come over for a few hours to play with Ella while I tended to my cold, do laundry, and make dinner or whatever. However, play times are the most difficult. My energy level is way down and my throat was so sore this week that any sound I made hurt like crazy. I felt so bad that Carmella had to live in silence for a few days. Plus, every time I tried to bend over to pick Ella up, my nose would run all over the place. Then once I stood back up and the congestion resettled, I would cough uncontrollably. It was impossible to keep my germs from her. Now that I am starting to feel a little better, it seems as though Ella’s cold is getting worse. I actually am glad I am starting to get rested at night because I can concentrate on getting the baby well again.

It is so sad to see such a little thing battling a cold. What breaks my heart even more is that she has started to put a few sounds together that make it seem as if she is calling for me: maaaa, mum, mum, mum. Then what do I do but drop saline in her nose and come at her with a giant anteater looking tool. Oh, so sad.

No comments:

 
Blog designed by Eriksen Web Design.