Friday, March 30, 2012

Swim Class

Carmella loves her swimming lessons. Her excitement gets her in trouble at times. The problem is, she has a hard time closing her mouth when she puts her face in the water because she is smiling too much. It's so cute. She is the youngest child in her class by a year or more, but she holds her own. She has improved so much since the first day. In the beginning she wouldn't put her face in the water at all. Now, she can hold her breath under water for up to five seconds. I am very proud of her. But to be honest, I just get a kick out of how much she likes it.

I have to back up a bit and tell you how we came to even get signed up for lessons at this particular pool. The pool is walking distance from our house and the lessons are by far the cheapest around. However, signing up is quite a stressful process. As a swim person myself, I really don't understand why it has to be so difficult to get a kid into lessons. Sign-ups start online at say noon on a Saturday. If you are not logged in and ready to go the second they open up the sign ups, you are out of luck. There is only one class per age group for each two-week session. I think there are four sessions total throughout the spring for which parents can sign up their kids. I knew we wanted to do the first two sessions so I got logged on and signed up the second the list went public.

Just for curiosity sake, I logged back in after I successfully added Carmella to both of the Spring sessions I wanted. Sure enough, only 4 minutes after the sign-ups went public, all classes were filled up for all four sessions. I felt lucky to even get on the list.

My thoughts are that if there is such a demand for lessons, why not add classes and teachers? They are missing out on a huge money-making opportunity here. It just kills me. I used to work at a pool and half my day was spent booking swim lessons. The more the merrier. If we had a wait list, we would simply add a class. I guess this place isn't quite at that level, but I simply see missed opportunity written all over it.

But isn't she sweet?

No comments:

 
Blog designed by Eriksen Web Design.