Friday, January 8, 2010

An Explosion of Vocabulary

Our little word sponge surprises me daily. Her vocabulary doubles every time I turn around. She’s added a few animal sounds to her repertoire and can say, clearly to her parents’ ears anyway, several random words.

One morning she walked over to the nightstand sticks her little pointer finger out and says: “Noooo. Bible,” clear as day. I never told her that the books on the nightstand were Bibles. But I found out that just one day prior, M told her not to play with the Bibles on his nightstand.

We pray together as a family at every meal and M and I both pray with C before she goes down to sleep at night. Last night I put her down by myself and after praying with her she said, “Amen.” Tonight M got to hear her say it too. It’s so cute.

One more story… I gave in a little and let C play on my computer for a bit. We found a site called Knee Bouncers online for toddlers. I thought it would be fun to see how she reacted to the animated characters. There is no real skill involved. All she has to do is touch any letter, number or space bar key and something happens on the screen. She absolutely loves it. She loves it so much that to take her away from it results in a little baby tantrum (easily stopped by distracting her with another toy). Well, we were playing the shapes game. The little characters take you through all the different shapes saying each one three or four times. They came to the oval and she immediately said, “Oval.” I am now a believer that these things actually teach the kids something. Don’t worry, we only do it maybe twice a week for five minutes at a time. She is not going to get carpal tunnel anytime soon.

Some other recent words that are rolling off the tip of her tongue:

Picture
Circle
Cock-a-doodle-do
Hoo, Hoo
Up
Light
Please—sounds more like peas. She does this with the little sign for please.
Elmo, or melmo (this is a big favorite right now since she got an Elmo doll that you place ears, noses and shoes on like you would a Mr. potato head)

Ear
Teeth
Honk, this usually accompanies pinching my nose.
Sock
Shoe
Boots
Shhh
Spoon
Cup
Glasses
Cracker
Baby
--that’s all I can think of right now. I know I am missing a bunch, but this is enough to show you how her little communication skills are developing.

No comments:

 
Blog designed by Eriksen Web Design.