Okay, okay, I know what you’re thinking: “Why are they sleeping in a cabin, aren’t they like outdoorsy people who love to tent camp?” Well, people, remember that I am only a little over a month away from giving birth. Plus, the cabin was air-conditioned and it had its own shower and toilet—a major plus when you have to go two to three times in the middle of the night. A little comfort at this stage doesn’t hurt anything.
That evening we had a huge potluck dinner and then a worship service around a bonfire. Mark got to play his Djembe for the first time since we moved to Illinois. This photo shows him gearing up for the campfire worship time.
The next day we decided to find the Fox River. It was a bit treacherous in that we had to climb through barbed wire and go over an electric fence enclosing a cow pasture to get to the water. We found the river no problem; it was the return trip that frightened me a tad.
On our way back we encountered three massive black cows. They obviously didn’t like the sight of us, because they made a lot of noise while staring us down. I grabbed onto Mark and stood behind him until we figured out how to get past these gigantic creatures without upsetting them and getting charged and trampled. If any of you know my track record with supposedly docile creatures, you will understand why I was being extra cautious. (It has to do with not one, but two manatee episodes in Florida.) Needless to say, we forged our own path out of there and made it safely back to camp. It’s little adventures like these that make life interesting.
I spent the rest of the afternoon playing in the pool before we headed back home. It was a short but very worthwhile trip.
Subscribe to The V Blog by Email
2 comments:
I love the reference to the "Manatee Encounters". It makes me laugh every time I think about it (but I also feel your pain and trepidation when thinking about seemingly large, docile mammals). You should blog about it. It's too bad you didn't get a picture of that gnarly bruise you received to illustrate the "dark side" of manatees.
Take care! Yea...one more month!
I love that belly shot. It makes me feel like I'm not the only one. Thankfully we are not alone.
Let's chat again soon.
Post a Comment